The University of Wisconsin-Parkside Library provides a number of services or accommodations aimed at equalizing access to library resources for students, faculty and staff with disabilities. All staff working in public service areas of the library will make every effort to accommodate reasonable requests from users with disabilities. The type and nature of the special assistance is usually determined by the request. While most special assistance can be given at the time of request, it is a good idea to make an appointment for non-routine accommodations. To make an appointment for special assistance, phone the library front desk (262) 595-2238.
- The library’s double front doors are typically propped open whenever the library is open, providing easy access for all. However, when there is a very loud event in Main Place , the doors are closed to insulate library users from the noise.
- Security gates allow for wheel chair access.
- Elevator access is available to all levels of the library.
- Accessible restrooms are available on levels 1, 2 and 3 of the library. Study rooms are located on levels 1, 2 and 3 of the library.
- Study rooms can be reserved in advance online. In-person and phone reservations can also be made (262) 595-2238.
- Computers on low tables in the reference area accommodate wheelchair access.
- Photocopiers are wheel-chair accessible. If you have difficulty using the photocopiers, you can obtain assistance at the front desk.
- Laptops with wireless capabilities are available for checkout and can be taken to all public areas of the library, including study rooms.
- A dedicated computer on a wheelchair-accessible table is located in study room L150K on the library’s main floor. In addition to Microsoft software and an Internet connection, the computer has the following special software packages: JAWS, which reads screens aloud; Window-Eyes, another screen reader; ZoomText Xtra, which magnifies screens; Dragon Naturally Speaking, which allows voice input and output for hands-free navigation. Please ask at the front desk for the password to this computer. Contact UW-Parkside Disability Services (262) 595-2372 if you need help using this technology.
- If you have difficulty retrieving books, periodicals, CDs, and other items, you can request that a library staff member get the items for you. Requests can be made at the frontt desk.
- If you have difficulty using the library in person, you are encouraged to try one of our alternative methods for consulting reference librarians: email: firstname.lastname@example.org or online chat: http://libguides.uwp.edu/content.php?pid=85126&sid=633726
- The library attempts to make its website ADA compliant. If you have difficulty using it, contact the Digital Initiatives Librarian, Melissa Olson.
The UW-Parkside Library and UW-Parkside Disability Services work together to provide assistance to students, faculty and staff with disabilities. UW-Parkside Disability Services website: http://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/disabilityservices/
Last revised 7/15